Friday, August 26, 2011

Adding Meta Tags to Blogger


UPDATE: Blogger has changed a bit since this link was posted. I found a new and updated way to add the meta tags. If you follow the original link, it may be confusing because the way of getting to the "edit html" has changed. So if you are having trouble finding that location, check the new link. Sorry for any confusion.

There are many ways to get lots of traffic to your blog. Most people already know about joining blogging communities, visiting and commenting on other blogs, and providing links in emails & forums, just to name a few.

Another excellent way is very simple and not everyone knows about it. I'm sure you've all heard by now of SEO (Search Engine Optimization). Yes, keywords and titles are very important but there is one more step to take it to the next level. Add meta tags to your blog. I just did this a couple months ago and what a difference it has made! When I see where my traffic comes from, I see that a lot of it comes from Google. I'm also noticing that many of the visitors are coming from google images. So there's another tip, add images and be sure to use names and descriptions with them as well.

Example: I did a search on Google typing in the following phrases and I was on the first page for all of them:

make owl napkin rings
snackwell's 130 calorie pack
pink lemonade cookies
m & m trifle

Remember though that your titles, description, and keywords are very important so choose them carefully.
The following link will give very easy instructions. This is for Blogger.
http://ariwahju-ariwahju.blogspot.com/2011/03/add-meta-tags-to-blogger-for-better-seo.html

Photo Above: A delicious and refreshing Champagne Punch we had at a family party recently. Thought it would make a pretty sight for the end of the hot summer season.

17 comments:

  1. I am gong to check out that link. Thanks for sharing!

    Stopping by from Blogging Buddies on etsy.

    <><
    http://christiecottage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so right about those Meta Tags, and SEO. I get some Google traffic, too...and naming pics is a very good thing!

    That punch looks delish! Can it be made with Sprite or sparkling white grape juice instead of champagne?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for posting this, Sher! I'm horrible at all this SEO stuff and really need to add tags to my blog, I know. I'm going to bookmark that page. Happy Friday to you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I reaaaaally need to try this! I am such a blogger babe in the woods! Thanks! Julia

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the helpful suggestion!
    Connie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much! This looks really easy to follow!

    I had a question: Do you just do this for your entire blog once or can you do it for each individual post.
    And how do you name/tag photos. I didn't see this in the post.

    Thanks so much :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. bookmarking this post as i need all the tagging/seo help i can get! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks! I hadn't really thought about SEO for my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very useful post! I have been taking advantage of meta tagging and keywords and yes, the hours I spent reading are totally paying off!

    By the way, a very useful page as far as meta tagging analysis is concerned: http://www.submitexpress.com/analyzer/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you Sher, that was very helpful:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. thanks for the info. I'll check it out when I get a chance

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks so much for sharing this great info!! I'll check out the link! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you so much, this is very helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks, Sher! I will work on this!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just went to my blog and "layout" is no longer an option (I think this original post is 2009), so I went into "design". The html area doesn't look like this anymore. Help! This is for your entire blog, not a post, correct?? Then I went to html for an individual post and saw nothing like this. Can you help me with some clarification, Sher??

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks Elizabeth. I've just added an updated link that should be easier to follow. Sorry for any confusion.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is a great tip. Sounds confusing but I am definitely going to try to figure it out.. ;) ;) Thanks!!!!!!!!

    -Camille
    GGA

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE to read your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...