Thursday, October 6, 2011

Safety First For Our Pets

I know that some may think I'm paranoid but when it comes to our fur babies, I see a lot of things in a day's time that most people will never see. So when I see things come in that could have possibly been avoided I like to bring it to every one's attention. Unfortunately, many things happen not because we are stupid, or neglectful, or mean, but because they are simply ACCIDENTS. And they can happen to anyone.

I know a lot of my readers are crafters, quilters, knitters, and use thread or yarn for their projects. Please, please, please double check behind yourselves to make sure you don't drop yarn, thread, or string. Even without a needle attached, these things can be deadly to your pet.

As I was leaving work yesterday one of our regular clients dropped off her cat because she saw a string hanging from her bottom. The cat had not been feeling well that day either and was straining in the litter box. We noticed that the string was attached so it required surgery. Unfortunately like in most of these situations, the kitty died. What happens is that the string attaches itself to the organs inside and instead of moving through the digestive track it gets tangled up and cuts through them. This was a thread, those are the worst of all. I know that I will be checking the floor and counter tops during and after every project.

This client was a perfect pet owner. She loved her pets and took excellent care of them. She even donates her time to help at an animal shelter. She's very educated when it comes to animals. So if it can happen to her, it can happen to any one of us.

So please my creative friends, please make sure while you are sewing, weaving or knitting, make extra sure there are no strings laying around. This also goes for tinsel that you use on your Christmas tree. Another danger to your pets. And if you see a string hanging from your animal's bottom, DON'T PULL OR CUT IT. Take your pet to the vet immediately. Sometimes time can make a difference. I know how much you all love your pets.

Photo Above: Family pets


  1. How awful!! I've never thought about thread pieces being a danger. Thank you for the heads up!

  2. Wow...I had no idea! Thank you for this post! One more reason not to sew:) just kidding :)

  3. How sad. We all need to pick up every thread and needle. Even for human safety. I remember visiting some quite elderly ladies years ago and they insisted I sit and visit. When I sat down I was in profuse pain. When I tried to move my arm, it seemed stuck. Then I saw blood. Well since I was so much taller than these ladies, I was against a part of the arm chair they never rested on. I had needles stuck in my arm. I spent about 30 minutes pressing down on the arm of the upholstered chair and finding the needles they "Lost" LOL

    Stopping by from Blogging Buddies


  4. How sad, this is such an important thing to remember, thank you so much for sharing this information. I had no idea!

  5. Oh my gosh, that is terrible! I never would have known, thanks for this post. My dog will put anything in his mouth.

  6. Ow Sher, what a horrible thing for that cat and the poor owner. All it takes sometimes is one mistake or accident. This is a good reminder.


  7. Excellent advice. Thanks for the information and reminder!!!!

  8. Great information. I learn something every day and I'll be sure to pass it on.

  9. that's something that I never gave much thought to. I'll definitely take more notice now

  10. What a great public service announcement, I would never have dreamed thread could be so dangerous. Thank you


I LOVE to read your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...