Thursday, March 27, 2014

Roasted Vegetables

roasted veggies, healthy eating, dinner, recipe

I recently got a recipe with roasted chicken, green beans, and potatoes. As good as it looked, I wasn't fond of the idea of canned green beans. I always like fresh, and if I can't get fresh, then frozen. The recipe also included a whole stick of butter. Yikes! That's a lot of butter! So from that dish I was inspired to create this recipe. So simple, and healthy.

Roasted Vegetables
1 pound of fresh green beans, ends trimmed
1/2 pound of sliced carrots (used the pre-cut, bagged)
1 large onion, cut into large chunks
1 large potato, cut into small cubes or slices
Handful of fresh mushrooms
1/2 packet of Zesty Italian salad dressing mix
2 - 3 Tbsp butter, melted
~~~~You can drizzle olive oil on top if you prefer 

The above are my favorites, you can also add zucchini, squash, red peppers, green peppers, asparagus, anything you want!


1. Preheat oven to 350. 

2. Steam or cook green beans and carrots in a tiny bit of water for about 10 minutes, just so soften slightly.

3. While the above is cooking/steaming, spay a 9 x 13 pan with cooking spray. Place the onion, mushrooms, and potatoes inside.

4. Drain the excess water from carrots and green beans, add to the other vegetables. Sprinkle the half packet of dressing mix on the vegetables. Drizzle the butter. 

5. Get your hands nice and messy by mixing it all up. 

6. Cover with foil and bake for 40 minutes at 350, then remove foil, turn oven up to 400 and cook another 15 to 20 minutes. 


If you want to make a whole meal of it, you can throw in a few chicken breasts or other meat. I've made this with chicken also and it very good!

7 comments:

  1. oh yum! I like your combination!
    I have all those vegetables right now, so I may make this tonight or tomorrow. I may just use some fresh herbs with oil or perhaps some bottled dressing since I don't have a mix.
    I agree that food doesn't have to be so greasy to taste good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! Anxious to try this. And I am SO looking forward to some fresh veggies from the Farmers Market this Summer. I have my garden seed packets all ready to plant in a few weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. that does look really good. I could eat just the vegetables alone but my husband would need the meat in there :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never eat meat, so I like healthy recipe for vegetables. And this looks so good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks delicious! My man is a great potato roaster on Sunday mornings. I should have him add other veggies! Especially asparagus (a favorite).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmmm...looks good! We like to do these in foil packets on the grill too!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE to read your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...