Sunday, April 22, 2012

My New Sewing Room


The moment has arrived! It's time to show you my new sewing and craft room. The only thing left to do is to build a new work table but that will have to wait until after summer projects that Brian plans to get done around the house. For now this table suits my purpose. The big cabinet behind the table is actually a Murphy bed. When I have overnight guests, I simply fold up the table and pull down the bed. I hope you like a lot of pictures!


Here it is from another angle. Yes, I do use that file organizer (long thing on the wall) that I sell the pattern for. It comes in quite handy. You might also notice the portable ironing board that I made for my room. If you click on my "Tutorials" tab at the top, you can see how to make your own. After I buy new bed linens, I'll show you the room when it is turned into a guest room.


If you follow my blog regularly, you've already seen this awesome wall of shelves that hubby built for me. The top shelves are covered because it hides the ugly stuff.


On to the details... I have photos throughout the room of those most near and dear to me. I even have one shelf dedicated to display a few of them. I also have a great spot to hang my favorite aprons. It's my new souvenir collection. It's a fun thing to collect while on vacations.

You see the baskets on the bottom shelves of the units next to the Murphy bed (top picture). Those are empty for now, but I thought they'd be handy when the room turns into a guest room. My guests will have little "drawers" to stash things in. The sewing machine table will become a writing desk or a place for my kids to use their laptops when they are visiting from Delaware. Right now you see a blanket next to the sewing machine. That is Punkie's favorite place to lay.


I found these bed risers laying around. They lift my table up to a comfy level for crafting. And these great storage containers have been on sale at Michael's. I'm going to get two more. They are perfect for storing the tiny scraps.


I actually have 4 areas for storing fabric. Here is where you'll find my 100% cottons which I use mostly. I also have a cabinet along the wall by the sewing machine where I store my smaller fabric piles (3/4 yard and under), I also have those storage containers (photo above this one) where I store the tiny scraps, and I use the top shelves of the new shelves to store felt and decorating fabrics.

My cutting tools, pencils, rotary cutters, and decorative edge scissors are so handy in these little mugs and flower pot.


I love the pretty glass jars for storing the colorful stuff! The photo in the left picture is of my grandmother who actually gave me the creative gene. I can remember hours of crafting when I would visit her. This picture was taken in the 1920's but you can tell that by her hairstyle.


And it all started with the plans above! I hope you have enjoyed my tour. I love my new room and I love the man that made it possible for me. A big thank you to my awesome husband!!!

22 comments:

  1. Wow! You room is wonderful, Sher! I like how the top shelves are covered with fabric. The personal touches throughout are definitely special. You must love to create in this room!
    Oh yeah, the Murphy bed! great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Sher, that looks great! What a beautifully organized space. I love that sage-y green color.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! It looks great! What a large space you have. And the wall of shelves...pretty darn wonderful! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Goodness me, Sher - that's a great workspace! Well done to both of you and how nice to see it complete, having seen it when in the planning stages! Hope you have hours of fun time crafting there. Really do like the storage shelves - and the Murphy bed idea!

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Way to go Brian! You have an awesome craft/sewing room Sher!
    I bet you lose track of time playing in there!
    Your Mom Cave wall hanging is amazing! I love it, and now I want one.
    Maybe I can talk one of my girls into making it for me, after I get the patterns of course. I better ask first LOL!

    Thanks for sharing, and enjoy your new space!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow...it's incredibly gorgeous. And so well organized! I wish you hours of pure happiness crafting there!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks so great and so organized! You know I love those glass jars as they are just like my kitchen canisters. I love the way you made a very practical space that is also homey.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just moved my sewing table and shelves in to the guest room too! Now looking for some storage ideas. Thanks for this post. Now following you from - http://kotonahandmade.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful space Sher!! Such great organization, an awesome place to sew and create!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amazing!! I know it took a lot of work, but you'll love working in this space. Love the glass jars for storage-- and the photo of your grandmother.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Look at all that storage! You're lucky to get such a big room (mostly) to yourself. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. WOW! That's just fabulous! Enjoy creating in your new space.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Makes me wish for a bigger room for myself :) Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm so jealous of your sewing room, Sher! It looks awesome. I'd give anything to have my own space to craft/paint/sew/whatever in! Haha. Right now I've taken over a small corner of the main room in our apartment, and my corner tends to get larger and larger when I'm in the middle of a project. Hopefully soon, though, we'll be moving some place with an extra room! xo, Mary

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your room is beautiful, Sher! You and your husband did a wonderful job with the shelves and other storage. This will be a great work area for you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh man! I drooled all over my keyboard! Your sewing room is just oozing creativity!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Feeling a little green after seeing these photos...Green With Envy! Your new room is amazing! All that storage! I bet you're in heaven :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful! You did a wonderful job with your room. And I love the clever covers for the top shelves! Your hubby is quite a guy!

    ReplyDelete
  19. oh lucky lucky you!! a fabulous space for you! congrats, good luck and have fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. The space is incredible! I like how you covered the top shelves--genius and pretty. And I really like the use of the risers!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you so much for sharing how you have solved the problem of combining two activities in one room. I have this same problem and you gave me many ideeas! Maybee, if I can get my material better organized I may be able to finish a wallhanging that I so desperately need. Having my material in paperboxes did NOT work for me - I realize that I need to see it all - but well organized... So thanks for helping me along!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE to read your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...