Thursday, July 17, 2014

Destination Weddings


It seems like there is a crazy trend brewing in the form of destination weddings. I'm seeing so much of this lately and it has reminded me of our own destination wedding in 2010 when my daughter and her husband Mike got married by a real mountain man at Yosemite National Park.

Their decision to do this was in the midst of wedding planning at home. It was so frustrating as far as details, guest list, locations etc. Thus, in an extremely short amount of time, a destination wedding was being planned.

Brian and I spent a couple days with Elyse and Mike in San Francisco before heading to Yosemite. We picked up my mom from the airport before heading to Yosemite. We met the rest of the family and her friends at Yosemite. There are no planes that land anywhere close to that area so we took the seven hour drive from San Francisco.

Yosemite National Park was amazing! It was by far the most beautiful place I had ever been. The mountains, waterfalls, streams, just beautiful! Sometimes I felt a little disconnected because there was no cell service for a good five hours into the park. But it was worth it not to have to see cell towers in front of the mountains.

We rented the chalet we stayed in along with Mom, the bride and groom, and her two girlfriends. It was a cute home tucked into a mountain. I wish we had a couple more days to just hang there and sit on the porch overlooking the view.

The wedding was beautiful, right under Bridal Veil Falls. We held the small reception in the dining room at one of the hotels (I think there were only two) in the park. Once we got home we had a cookout/pool party style reception for family and friends that didn't make the trip.

I suppose that destination weddings are bittersweet. For those who can make the trip, they are the best! But unfortunately only a few people can usually go so not everyone can be there. It was a trip I will never forget.

5 comments:

  1. What an amazing place for a destination wedding. Most people go to an island or Europe, but this is super unique! The mountain man looks so cute. I haven't been to Yosemite yet but have always found the photos stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husbands daughter got married in Hawaii. We were the only ones who weren't able to go. Something like that just wasn't in our budget.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you. All in all, I find it best to make a local wedding. If you want to travel to an exotic destination, that is for after the wedding.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yosemite is my husband favorite place.
    Now they have a great place to go to celebrate their anniversaries!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE to read your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...