Saturday, December 13, 2014

Tutorial - Decorative Jar Candles


Do you need a last minute hostess gift or just feel you need a few more decorations? Decorative jar candles are wonderful! Not only are they super decorative, but you probably already have things at home to fill them. You can make them to fit any decor, and if you don't have any mason jars sitting around, save your spaghetti sauce jars. I actually like them better because the glass is smooth. They aren't just for Christmas either. You can fill them with fun things for any occasion. I have a few that I keep for everyday that I fill with small beach rocks and others filled with shells. If you don't have anything laying around, run to the dollar store and grab a bag of potpourri or colorful candies. Seriously, anything can be a candle!

The only thing you might have to buy are clear candle cups that slip over the mouth of the jar. They should be tapered so that the top of the cup sits on the top of the jar while the candle part drops below the opening. I found them really cheap too. Some I bought from Hobby Lobby for 50 cents, the others I bought at WalMart for 75 cents. As long as you have some of those laying around along with some jars (not wide mouth), and tea light candles, you can create some fun candles that will suit any decorative style or occasion. If you can't find the tapered candle cups, you have two other options. You can use the little candle cups that are shaped like flower pots, or you can use any plain, clear candle cup that will fit inside the jar. But for these you need to make sure that the candle cup is securely seated and doesn't slide down or tip, because you will have a lit candle.

As you can see, I found all kinds of things for my jars. Search your house and your Christmas boxes and I'm sure you'll find all kinds of fun things to slip inside the jars.

My jars are filled with the following (from left to right):

Potpourri
Sparkly garland
Ribbon candy
Snowman ornament on cotton balls
Small decorative balls 
Soft peppermint candies, unwrapped
Floral pics

Use your imagination, these jars can be filled with all kinds of things for any occasion!

Do you like free embroidery designs and tutorials?

Be sure to sign up for the weekly newsletter to get a free design every weekend (unless I'm running a sale). Sign up for Sher's Creative News

4 comments:

  1. what an easy way to make a really great looking candle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea! I love the one filled with candies, but I'm pretty sure that if that one were it my house, the candies would disappear very, very quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such simple, inexpensive decorations! Thank you for the ideas. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow very creative and innovative idea for making decorative Jar Candles

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE to read your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...