Friday, July 19, 2024

Safety First - Always!


This post is a bit different than my usual crafting and sewing articles. I have what I feel is an important message because of our own personal experience this week. 

If you don't have a carbon monoxide detector, you need to buy one. If you can't remember when you last purchased one, buy a new one. We had a horrible storm this week that not only did a lot of damage, but left many of us without power for three days. 

Several years back we purchased a whole house generator. Second night in, we were awakened by our carbon monoxide detector. We immediately went outside and called 911. The fire department came with their meter and yes, the levels were high. They called our power company and came out and made several checks. It appeared that our generator gasses were seeping into the house via the dryer vent. We covered it up with duck tape, aired the house, then turned the generator back on. Next night, it happened again! This time we just turned off the generator and went to bed. Of course we aired out the house first. 

The important message here is that if we didn't have that carbon monoxide detector, we would have been in a closed up house for three days! More than likely I wouldn't be here to write this post had we stayed with toxic gasses for three days.

So order one if you don't have one. The one we have plugs right into an outlet so no attaching to a wall is needed. We have another one coming tomorrow. Since this one has done it's job, we are replacing it. They are also inexpensive. The one I just bought I ordered from Amazon for around $20.

Feel free to share this post, or share the experience with someone you know. They really do save lives!!!

Photo for attention. We took a road trip this past month and this is some of the beauty we enjoyed along the way.

3 comments:

  1. WOW; so glad you have that detector! I have a small portable one that I bought on Amazon for traveling for $32. It is called the Grey Rhino travel carbon monoxide detector. It is powered by a battery and came with a USB charger. We were staying in hotels during the travel, and I remember the travelers who died from carbon monoxide so thought I would take this with me. Kept it charged and hanging in every hotel room and in my cruise ship cabins too. Now, it is hanging in my kitchen. Mostly I check the temperature and humidity with the touch of a button. We don't have gas in our has, but we do have a gas grill on the deck. Thanks for sharing your safety warning. (Oh, I told a friend who was going to Sandals in Jamaica and he bought one for the trip too)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those deaths could have been presented with something so simple. I'll definitely take it with me when I travel. I'm going to look up the traveling one because I do travel without my husband occasionally and I wouldn't want to take the one from the house.

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE to read your comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...