To make one boy and one girl:
9" x 12" piece of felt, light brown
Matching embroidery floss
3-Dimensional Paint (white & black)
5 Buttons, green
2 - 12" pieces of 1/4" red ribbon
Small amount of fiberfill
Heavy thread for hanger
Craft glue or a hot glue gun
Scissors, needles, paper, pins
1. Print out patterns. Be sure the printed line on the pattern piece measures 3" so that your ornament will be the proper size. Click on the images below. Make sure they are enlarged (do this by clicking on them), print out.
2. Cut out the boy and girl pattern pieces. Fold your felt in half, pin the patterns to the felt and cut out cutting through both layers of fabric. Remove the paper pattern and pin the two pieces of felt back together.
3. You will notice that your floss has six strands. Cut your floss into 18" pieces. Separate the strands so that you have 2 - 3 strand pieces. Beginning at the side of the head, stitch around the gingerbread person and stop (don't tie off) at the other side of the head. You will need to leave the top open for stuffing. I like to use a blanket stitch but you can use any stitch you are comfortable with. Small stitches look much nicer. Stuff very lightly and then stitch the top of the head closed. A pencil with the eraser end is a great tool for pushing your stuffing into the gingerbread person.
4. Apply the buttons to the front of the gingerbread guys (2 for the boy, 3 for the girl). Instead of sewing them on like you would a button, I like to run the thread down into the first hole, all the way through, then back up through the second hole. Tie a knot pulling slightly to form an indentation. Cut about 1/2" away from button then "scruff" up the floss by separating after the knot. This is a cute effect.
5. Thread your hanging thread through the top of the head and tie off leaving about 3" for hanging. Trim thread about 1/2" from knot.
6. Using the 3-Dimensional black paint, make two little eyes and a smile. Make the wavy icing on the head, hands, feet, and bottom of the girl's dress using the white 3-Dimensional paint. I love the way this paint looks like frosting!
7. Make bows from the 2 pieces of red ribbon, glue to neck and let ornaments dry.